About the book:
“You think you’re better than everyone else?
Listen to me, I’m going to kill you.”
Hector has always minded his own business, working hard to make his way to a better life someday. He’s the chess team champion, helps the family with his job at the grocery, and teaches his little sister to shoot hoops overhand.
Until Joey singles him out. Joey, whose older brother, Chavo, is head of the Discípulos gang, tells Hector that he’s going to kill him: maybe not today, or tomorrow, but someday. And Hector, frozen with fear, does nothing. From that day forward, Hector’s death is hanging over his head every time he leaves the house. He tries to fade into the shadows – to drop off Joey’s radar – to become no one.
But when a fight between Chavo and Hector’s brother Fili escalates, Hector is left with no choice but to take a stand.
The violent confrontation will take Hector places he never expected, including a reform school where he has to live side-by-side with his enemy, Joey. It’s up to Hector to choose whether he’s going to lose himself to revenge or get back to the hard work of living.
I loved reading this book. This book was hard to put down and very enjoyable.
Things I enjoyed:
– Hector’s love for chess. As a chess player myself, it was great to see that the author understood the way chess works. Not just the basics but the more advance things.
– The character development was really great. The author had Hector deal with a lot of emotions and it helped to grow the character.
– I loved the plot. It was upsetting at times, but had a realistic tone to it.
– The end plot twist. I did not see it coming, but it was so understandable.
Things I didn’t enjoy:
– The middle was a bit slow at times. It could be a bit boring.
– The ending was a bit upsetting. It left you hanging, wondering what happened.
Thank you to Scholastic Publishing for the book in exchange for an honest review.
Please note that I use Amazon Affiliate links. So, every time you buy a book using the link below, you help support this website at no extra cost to you.
I love reading and have been doing it forever. I created this site so that you can get ideas on what to read. You can also share your thoughts and ideas on any books. I would love to hear from you and see what books you love.